The End is Always a New Beginning

Everything comes to an end, good, bad, or indifferent. And the cycle begins afresh for the next adventure. 

As Matthew and Brienna slept I went out into the early morning headed towards St Paul’s Cathedral. I must say last night with all the hustle of traffic, I had mostly written off the London portion. That is until this morning. I headed out about 5:15 and just wandered my way around. It was fantastic. There were no people and no traffic, just me walking in perfect 58 degree weather as the sun continued to rise. Yes, there were a few here and there but mostly it was just me. Well, and this pigeon I disturbed eating breakfast. 

I kept on cutting back and forth in the craggly city streets. There it is in the distance. The cathedral. 

I took my time circling around and enjoying the cathedral’s architecture. 



No street vendors trying to sell me trinkets, no worry of pickpockets, no angling for space to take a picture. Just me. I even set my phone on the street for some pics. 


This cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of London. It dedication  in honor of Paul the Apostle dates back to the original church founded in AD 604. I was hoping to go in for an early morning service, but the first one was not until 7:30. 


 I continued on across a bridge to get a view of the Thames.

It was time for me to get back and I say THIS is the time to wander London. In those early hours. You won’t regret it. Unless you want to gain entrance. 🙂

It was now getting close to 7 and I needed to get back and herd those cats to the airport. I stopped and got them breakfast snacks; sausage rolls for them and a chocolate bread for me. I got Brienna a decaf from a cafe - Blank Street Coffee - next to the roll place - Greggs.



I passed this phone booth on the way back.

When I got back, they gobbled up the snacks packed and we were out front in time to meet our driver Ahmet from Turkey.



Ahmet and I talked on the rise about site seeing in Turkey at Gobekli Tepe and how those ruins are thousands of years old - who was there, how did they build it, and where did they go? Someday would the same be asked for the places we have built? 

We made it to Heathrow early - turns out the traffic leaving London is not as bad as entering. 

That means Brienna had more time for, sigh, shopping. 🙄😩🙃


As we sit waiting on our flight, my hope is that they might think perhaps also a souvenir is the witness to the artistic works and craftsmanship from all those masters and unknown participants that gave their sweat (and their lives) to create something of beauty and interest, something of tremendous effort that has inspired others to travel from far off places for just a glimpse. Or even more-so, the natural landscapes we saw. The artist that created those wasn’t too bad either. 😉  

That is it. No more posting. We are on board our flight. 

On to the next adventure. Peace out……




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 in Florence - Late Start Good Food

Day 2 in Milan - THE Duomo and Ciao Italy